This is a hotfix for a myriad of major issues when "Translucent windows" is disabled. This was caused by a bug introduced in .NET 6.0.1. This update also includes the big performance improvements and other bug fixes from v4.3.5 and v4.3.6.
NOTE for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and 32-bit/x86 users: Paint.NET v4.3.x will be the last release(s) that work on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or on any 32-bit/x86 version of Windows. It has become significantly more difficult and time consuming to support these lately, not very many people are using them, and I can no longer justify the cost and frustration of keeping support for these afloat. Starting with Paint.NET v4.4, only Windows 10 and 11+ will be supported, and only on 64-bit (x64 and ARM64). I have started working on v4.4 and will only release v4.3.x updates on an as-needed basis and only until v4.4 is completed.
Get the update
- Microsoft Store release
- You can purchase it here. This helps fund development and is an alternative or supplement to sending in a donation.
- If you already have it installed, the update should happen automatically once Microsoft certifies the update, usually within the next day or two. To get the update immediately (once it’s certified), you can follow the instructions listed here.
- Classic Desktop release
- Download the installer directly (web installer for all CPUs and OSes). This is the recommended download if you don’t have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
- If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
- Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.
Changes since v4.3.6:
- Fixed the app being completely broken when "Translucent windows" was disabled. This was caused by a bug introduced in .NET 6.0.1. More discussion here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119185-many-problems-with-436/
- Improved rendering performance for most tools, which are now up to 100% faster (see discussion here: https://twitter.com/rickbrewPDN/status/1477344632404996101)
- Fixed an issue with the Save Configuration dialog where the OK and Cancel buttons were overlapping on Windows 7 (thanks @toe_head2001 for the fix!)
- Fixed an issue when saving an image with 257 unique colors at 8-bit color depth when the 257th unique color was the last (bottom-right) pixel. https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119047-error-saving-a-file-seems-related-to-bit-depth-being-at-auto-detect/
- Fixed an issue where the Layers window buttons were not correctly enabling/disabling after an undo/redo operation. https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119120-with-only-one-layer-create-layer-and-use-ctrlz-to-undo-delete-layer-button-is-still-enabled/
- Fixed an issue that was preventing the VTF Plugin from saving multi-layer images correctly, as reported at https://www.reddit.com/r/paintdotnet/comments/rnx11j/help_with_vtf_editing_blend_saving/
- Fixed an issue when saving images at 1-bit or 2-bit color depth, where sometimes not all colors would be included. https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119082-saving-png-rounds-a-pixel-with-a-value-of-010101-down-to-000000/
- Fixed an issue with some IndirectUI plugins that were using customized colors for their sliders
- Fixed a compatibility issue with TR’s Morpher plugin https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/107499-trs-morpher-v1110-march-14th-2016/?do=findComment&comment=589420
- Fixed a compatibility issue with some of @Ego Eram Reputo‘s older plugins that were unable to launch help links due to a change in .NET 6
- Fixed a stack overflow in the box filter rendering kernel that could cause hangs or crashes when the zoom level was around 1/8th (12.5%) or 1/32nd (3.125%) for particular image sizes e.g. ((N x 2048) + 16)). Reported here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/119180-new-update-is-broken-for-me-435/ (regression in 4.3.5, fixed in 4.3.6)