This is a small update that fixes a few bugs and updates the bundled AVIF and WebP file type plugins.
NOTE for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and 32-bit/x86 users: Paint.NET v4.3.x will be the last release(s) that work on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or on any 32-bit/x86 version of Windows. It has become significantly more difficult and time consuming to support these lately, not very many people are using them, and I can no longer justify the cost and frustration of keeping support for these afloat. Starting with Paint.NET v4.4, only Windows 10 and 11+ will be supported, and only on 64-bit (x64 and ARM64). Updates for 4.3.x will be released on an as-needed basis until v4.4 is completed.
Get the update
- Microsoft Store release
- You can purchase it here. This helps fund development and is an alternative or supplement to sending in a donation.
- If you already have it installed, the update should happen automatically once Microsoft certifies the update, usually within the next day or two. To get the update immediately (once it’s certified), you can follow the instructions listed here.
- Classic Desktop release
- Download the installer directly (web installer for all CPUs and OSes). This is the recommended download if you don’t have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
- If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
- Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.
Changes since v4.3.11:
- Fixed a bug when using Crop to Selection where the image would scroll away to the corner
- Fixed a rendering bug in the brush tools that would cause some sections of the brush stroke to be rendered twice, making them darker
- Added the PdnBaseForm.IsAppThemeDark property so that plugins with custom UI can more easily be dark theme aware
- Fixed a rare crash in the rendering engine due to a race condition
- Fixed a crash when using multiple monitors plugged into multiple GPUs from different manufacturers (e.g. AMD vs. NVIDIA), while moving the window between monitors (NotCurrentlyAvailableException)
- Updated the bundled WebPFileType plugin to v22.214.171.124 (thanks @null54!). See its GitHub releases page for more info.
- Updated the bundled AvifFileType to v126.96.36.199 (thanks @null54!). See its GitHub releases page for more info.