This update includes a new Layers -> Toggle Layer Visibility (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + comma) command, some performance improvements, bug fixes, and a new IndirectUI control for plugins (FolderChooser).
NOTE for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and 32-bit/x86 users: Paint.NET v4.3.x will be the last release(s) that work on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or on any 32-bit/x86 version of Windows. It has become significantly more difficult and time consuming to support these lately, not very many people are using them, and I can no longer justify the cost and frustration of keeping support for these afloat. Starting with Paint.NET v4.4, only Windows 10 and 11+ will be supported, and only on 64-bit (x64 and ARM64). Updates for 4.3.x will be released on an as-needed basis until v4.4 is completed.
Get the update
- Microsoft Store release
- You can purchase it here. This helps fund development and is an alternative or supplement to sending in a donation.
- If you already have it installed, the update should happen automatically once Microsoft certifies the update, usually within the next day or two. To get the update immediately (once it’s certified), you can follow the instructions listed here.
- Classic Desktop release
- Download the installer directly (web installer for all CPUs and OSes). This is the recommended download if you don’t have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
- If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
- Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.
Changes since v4.3.7:
- New: Layers -> Toggle Layer Visibility menu command (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + comma)
- Greatly improved performance for the Line/Curve and Shapes tools
- Improved performance for the Move Selected Pixels tool when using Bicubic resampling
- Fixed tooltips not going away when menu items are activated by the keyboard (Effects, Adjustments, and File -> Open Recent)
- Added a FolderChooser control type for IndirectUI-based plugins (thanks @toe_head2001!)
- Fixed compatibility for Ed Harvey’s FastFX PencilSketch effect plugin
- Fixed a performance bug in the canvas renderer that was causing tiles to be copied to the GPU more often than necessary. This mostly affected performance when drawing or modifying selections, and when scrolling or zooming.
- Fixed a small memory leak with the allocations made for Win32 synchronization primitives (critical sections and condition variables)
- Updated the bundled AvifFileType plugin to verison 18.104.22.168, which fixes some issues with EXIF metadata handling. (thanks @null54!)
- Updated the bundled WebPFileType plugin to version 22.214.171.124, which fixes some issues with EXIF metadata handling. (thanks @null54!)
- Updated the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 126.96.36.199, which adds support for DXGI_FORMAT_R32_FLOAT. This is used by Bethesda’s Creation Kit for Fallout 4. (thanks @null54!)