This update includes a new Layers -> Toggle Layer Visibility (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + comma) command, some performance improvements, bug fixes, and a new IndirectUI control for plugins (FolderChooser).
NOTE for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and 32-bit/x86 users: Paint.NET v4.3.x will be the last release(s) that work on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or on any 32-bit/x86 version of Windows. It has become significantly more difficult and time consuming to support these lately, not very many people are using them, and I can no longer justify the cost and frustration of keeping support for these afloat. Starting with Paint.NET v4.4, only Windows 10 and 11+ will be supported, and only on 64-bit (x64 and ARM64). Updates for 4.3.x will be released on an as-needed basis and only until v4.4 is completed.
Get the update
To get this update, make sure you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" enabled in Settings, and then click on the Check Now button. (Unfortunately alpha/beta releases are not currently available for the Microsoft Store version of the app).
You can also download the online/web installer at the forum.
Offline installers, portable ZIPs, and MSIs for deployment can be found over at the GitHub releases page.
Changes since 4.3.7:
- New: Layers -> Toggle Layer Visibility menu command (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + comma)
- Greatly improved performance for the Line/Curve and Shapes tools
- Improved performance for the Move Selected Pixels tool when using Bicubic resampling
- Fixed tooltips not going away when menu items are activated by the keyboard (Effects, Adjustments, and File -> Open Recent)
- Added a FolderChooser control type for IndirectUI-based plugins (thanks @toe_head2001!)
- Fixed compatibility for Ed Harvey’s FastFX PencilSketch effect plugin
- Fixed a performance bug in the canvas renderer that was causing tiles to be copied to the GPU more often than necessary. This mostly affected performance when drawing or modifying selections, and when scrolling or zooming.
- Fixed a small memory leak with the allocations made for Win32 synchronization primitives (critical sections and condition variables)
- Updated the bundled AvifFileType plugin to verison 18.104.22.168, which fixes some issues with EXIF metadata handling. (thanks @null54!)
- Updated the bundled WebPFileType plugin to version 22.214.171.124, which fixes some issues with EXIF metadata handling. (thanks @null54!)
- Updated the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 126.96.36.199, which adds support for DXGI_FORMAT_R32_FLOAT. This is used by Bethesda’s Creation Kit for Fallout 4. (thanks @null54!)