This is a small update with some performance improvements, bug fixes, and updates to the bundled plugins.
For all the details on what’s new in 5.0 (there’s a lot!), check out its release post.
Changes since 5.0.1:
- New Adjustment: Invert Alpha
- Greatly improved performance for some distortion effects (Bulge, Crystalize, Dents, Frosted Glass)
- Improved performance with large images, especially when making small/quick edits
- Fixed keyboard tabbing between the Width and Height text boxes in the toolbar when using Fixed Ratio or Fixed Size with the Rectangle Select tool
- Fixed Bokeh blur effect’s handling of the alpha channel for images with transparency
- Fixed the keyboard up/down increments for the Offset property in the Drop Shadow effect
- Fixed compatibility with the Lightning effect plugin
- Fixed compatibility with the ApplyTexture effect plugin
- Removed keyboard shortcuts for Image -> Rotate 90° Counter-clockwise and Rotate 180°
- Updated the bundled AvifFileType plugin to version 18.104.22.168 (thanks @null54!)
- Updated the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 22.214.171.124 (thanks @null54!)
Get the Update
There are two releases of Paint.NET:
- Microsoft Store release (recommended)
- You can purchase it here. This helps fund development and is an alternative or supplement to sending in a donation.
- If you already have it installed, the update should happen automatically once Microsoft certifies the update, usually within the next day or two. To get the update immediately (once it’s certified), you can follow the instructions listed here.
- Classic Desktop release
- Download the installer from the website. This is the recommended download if you don’t have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
- If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
- Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.