This update includes upgraded AV1 (*.avif) support (both opening and saving, and not just on Win10) thanks to the bundling of @null54‘s AvifFileType plugin. Performance and memory usage are improved, particularly when working with large images. Saving large, indexed (8-bit or less) image has been fixed, as well as the palette generation for 4-bit images (which was broken).
To get this update, make sure you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" enabled in Settings, and then click on the Check Now button. (Unfortunately alpha/beta releases are not currently available for the Microsoft Store version of the app).
You can also download and install this update directly from the forum.
Changes since 4.2.13:
- New: AV1 (*.avif) images can now be saved (not just opened), due to bundling of @null54‘s AvifFileType plugin (v188.8.131.52). Installation of Microsoft’s codec from the Microsoft Store is no longer necessary, which means this also works on Windows 7 and 8.1.
- Improved performance in the canvas rendering engine, especially when working with large images, and most notably when scrolling and zooming
- Reduced memory usage when working with images that have regions of solid color
- Fixed an issue where saving an image at 4-bit color depth (usually pixel art) was using an incorrect palette (reduced color count/quality). This was due to a bug in Windows Imaging Component (WIC).
- Fixed an issue where very large images (e.g. 50000 x 50000 px) couldn’t be saved at indexed bit-depths (8-bit or less) due to a bug in Windows Imaging Component (WIC). More information on the forum: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116950-error-when-saving-a-big-file/
- Fixed an issue where BMP images couldn’t be loaded if they had the .PNG extension (there’s an Android screenshot utility out there which does this …)
- Fixed a rare crash in the Gradient tool ("The tool must be in the Drawing state …")
- New: Added a list of the DLLs that are loaded into the process on the Settings → Diagnostics page. This is to help troubleshooting scenarios.