This update adds some additional low-bit-depth choices to several file types (PNG, BMP, TIFF), and fixes some bugs. I should be able to do a final release of this soon!
To get this update, make sure you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" enabled in Settings, and then click on the Check Now button. (Unfortunately alpha/beta releases are not currently available for the Microsoft Store version of the app).
You can also download and install this update directly from the post on the forum.
Changes since 4.2.12:
- New: Added 2-bit per pixel support when saving as PNG
- New: Added 1-bit per pixel support when saving as PNG, BMP, and TIFF
- Fixed low-bit-depth saving quality (8-bit, etc.), as it would sometimes produce very bad results (e.g. only using 64 colors instead of 256)
- Fixed: Sometimes recently saved images would not have an updated thumbnail in File Explorer unless/until its window was manually refreshed
- Fixed: Sometimes saving an image to a network share on a non-Windows server (e.g. Linux) would not work
- Updated bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 18.104.22.168, which fixes an issue when loading and saving images using the sRGB color space. This issue was reported here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116572-dds-file-format-bc1-bc7-srgb-export-incorrectly. Thanks @null54!
9 thoughts on “paint.net 4.2.13 alpha build 7497”
Did you notice my recent comment about a possible bug in PDN over at https://blog.getpaint.net/2020/05/29/paint-net-4-2-12-is-now-available/#comment-21510 ?
Your valuable expert reply would be greatly appreciated!
That’s something that gets reported every so often. It’s not really a bug — the conversion between HSV and RGB just isn’t exact or invertible. Maybe you can find earlier discussions by searching for HSV off-by-1 or something.
Thanks a lot for the hint and also first details, Rick!
P. S.: Please allow for comment editing/removal, at least for logged in/registered users.
Merci pour vos astuces. Jacques
Le sam. 11 juil. 2020 à 19:57, paint.net blog a écrit :
> Rick Brewster posted: “This update adds some additional low-bit-depth > choices to several file types (PNG, BMP, TIFF, TGA), and fixes some bugs. I > should be able to do a final release of this soon! To get this update, make > sure you have “Also check for pre-release (beta) v” >
There are two problems that I have with Paint.Net:
1) The lasso selection tool is inconvenient. Most other image editing programs continue the selection in a straight line when the button is lifted, which allows for more precision and less errors from finger/hand fatigue when trying to select a long outline. Some even allow partial unto of the last click.
2) The text is not editable. Many times I would detect a spelling mistake only after committing the changes and need to start anew. Writing in a text editor and then pasting and correcting the layout makes for a convoluted workflow.
I would appreciate those issues being addressed in a future release.
Hi, i really use this app, but can you add an option for edit .tga images, i have some errors when i try to edit these type of files, thanks a lot
Paint.NET already natively supports TGA images. If you’re having trouble with a specific TGA, then either it isn’t actually a TGA, or you can make a post on the forum in the Troubleshooting section and we’ll look into it. Please include a copy of an image that isn’t working.
Comments are closed.