This update adds XMP metadata support, 3 new translations, some UI improvements, and several bug fixes.
I’d like to point out the addition of a right-click menu that’s now available from the thumbnail strip at the top of the window:
For the Classic release, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so. You can get the update sooner by going to ⚙ Settings → Updates → Check Now. You can also download and install it directly from the website.
Changes since 4.2.10:
- New: XMP metadata is now preserved for supported file types (PDN, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, JPEG XR, HEIC, AVIF, WEBP)
- New: Belarusian (be) translation
- New: Greek (el) translation
- New: Slovenian (sl) translation
- New: Added a right-click context menu to the image thumbnail/tab. It contains commands for Copy Path, Open Containing Folder, Save, Save As, and Close.
- New: The items in the File -> Open Recent menu now have a tooltip with the full file path for the image
- Changed: The selection outline animation is now smoother (2x the framerate)
- Fixed: Saving with the HEIC file type is no longer limited to a max Quality value of 90. This limitation was in place because of a crash due to heap corruption, which no longer happens.
- Fixed: The NVIDIA sharpening setting will no longer cause trippy distortions in the canvas area
- Fixed an issue with loading very small TGA images, first reported here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116100-tga-rle-truecolor-1×1-image-failed-to-load/. Thanks @null54 or the fix!
- Fixed: Error dialogs when opening images now consistently show the file path
- Fixed a PropertyNotFoundException error message when saving JPEG images with a particular ordering of metadata. This was due to a bug in Windows 7’s WIC JPEG codec. First reported here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116079-jpg-cant-save-some-file/
- Fixed clipped text rendering in the Curves adjustment dialog in some non-English translations.
- Fixed a crash when running the app with a DPI scaling setting of 500%
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when running effects with very small selections
- Fixed some IndirectUI controls not honoring their default values if also initialized in read only (disabled) mode. Thanks @BoltBait for the fix!
- Fixed a memory leak in the effect system that was causing 1 orphaned thread per effect invocation
- Changed: Removed the use of NTFS Transactions, which was causing trouble with OneDrive. Microsoft has also deprecated this technology.
- New: Added /openCrashLogFolder command-line argument. This is intended for simplifying troubleshooting workflows.
- New: Added /forceUpdateCheck command-line argument. This is intended for troubleshooting scenarios to simplify acquiring the latest version, e.g. "just run paintdotnet:/forceUpdateCheck" instead giving a longer list of buttons to click on.
- Updated WebPFileType plugin to version 184.108.40.206, which adds XMP metadata support. Thanks @null54!
- Updated DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 1.10.3. This fixes an issue with saving in the A1R5G5B5, A4R4G4B4, and R5G6B5 formats, and adds support for reading files that use a ‘BC7\0’ FourCC. Thanks @null54!