As usual, you can either use the built-in updater from the Utilities menu, or you can download and install directly from the website: http://www.getpaint.net/. There’s no need to worry about removing the old version; that is all handled automatically.
This update improves reliability of saving, further improves Copy/Paste functionality, and fixes some other miscellaneous bugs.
Here’s the list of changes since v3.5.6:
- Saving an image is now fault-tolerant. If there is an error or crash while saving, the original file will be left alone.
- Worked around a bug in some plugins that are incorrectly using the built-in Gaussian Blur effect. For example, Sharpen+. Now they won’t crash.
- Fixed a bug with Edit->Paste into New Image, where the new image would be 1 pixel too wide or tall, as reported at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20969-paste-problem/
- Fixed a bug with the Rectangle Select tool and Fixed Ratio selection, which would be off by 1 pixel, as reported at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20820-croppig-by-fixed-ratio-is-inexact
- When pasting an image from Paint.NET into Paint.NET, it will be a little smarter about where it puts the image. Previously, if the location wasn’t within the viewport, it would be placed at the top-left corner of the viewport. Now it will find the nearest point along the edge of the viewport to place the image.
- The EXIF rotation ("orientation") metadata is now discarded when opening an image, which was causing aggravation with images that could then never be reoriented correctly using Image->Rotate
- The EXIF tags for JPEG thumbnail data are now correctly discarded.
- Fixed a handful of memory leaks.
- Fixed a typo in the Italian translation. In the setup wizard it was referring to "Pain.NET" (woops)