This update improves reliability of saving, further improves Copy/Paste functionality, and fixes some other miscellaneous bugs. I decided to port the “fault-tolerant save” work I did in the v4.0 codebase back to v3.5.x so that this much-needed reliability improvement could be made available now.
As usual, you can get it either by downloading it from the website, or via the built-in updater (Utilities -> Check for Updates). If you use the built-in updater, please make sure that "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" is enabled.
You can also visit the forum to discuss this: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21025-paintnet-v357-beta-build-4058/
- Saving an image is now fault-tolerant. If there is an error or crash while saving, the original file will be left alone.
- Worked around a bug in some plugins that are incorrectly using the built-in Gaussian Blur effect. For example, Sharpen+. Now they won’t crash.
- Fixed a bug with Edit->Paste into New Image, where the new image would be 1 pixel too wide or tall, as reported at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20969-paste-problem/
- Fixed a bug with the Rectangle Select tool and Fixed Ratio selection, which would be off by 1 pixel, as reported at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20820-croppig-by-fixed-ratio-is-inexact
- When pasting an image from Paint.NET into Paint.NET, it will be a little smarter about where it puts the image. Previously, if the location wasn’t within the viewport, it would be placed at the top-left corner of the viewport. Now it will find the nearest point along the edge of the viewport to place the image.
- The EXIF rotation ("orientation") metadata is now discarded when opening an image, which was causing aggravation with images that could then never be reoriented correctly using Image->Rotate
- The EXIF tags for JPEG thumbnail data are now correctly discarded.
- Fixed a potential memory leak in the Gaussian Blur effect.
- Fixed a typo in the Italian translation. In the setup wizard it was referring to "Pain.NET" (woops)
7 thoughts on “Paint.NET v3.5.7 Beta (Build 4058) is now available”
Update within Paint.NET for beta does not work – maybe waiting will self fix problem. Options properly checked.
The update manifest files are still uploading. It’s a big list of tiny files … takes awhile to send all those FTP commands I guess. (Currently at 93%)
Pain.NET! That was a good one! 😀
Thank you for your work on this exemplary application, Mr. Brewster.
It is great to see the progress toward the v4.0. I am already salivating at the thought of a possible pre-alpha release, if I understood your previous post correctly.
Is there any plan to implement the Blend Modes plus into a pre v4.0 build?
Updated very smooth. No issues.
Paint.net seems slightly faster, snappy on Windows 7 64bit.
Thankyou for all your work.
Comments are closed.