Alright, here we go: finally a new update to Paint.NET! Please note that this is a beta, and expires in 60 days on April 28th. You can get this update by downloading it from the website, http://www.getpaint.net/ (no need to uninstall your current version, it will figure it all out for you), or via the built-in updater. For the latter, go to Help -> Check for Updates… and make sure you are set up to receive betas by clicking on the Options button and ensuring that "Also check for beta relases" is checked. Then close the dialogs and click on Help -> Check for Updates… again.
The most notable features in this release are the ability to save PNG’s at 8- and 24-bit depth, and the integration of Ed Harvey’s "Fragment" blur effect. There are also a bunch of other minor things, bug fixes, and a new Italian translation.
List of changes:
- New: Ability to save PNG’s at 8- and 24-bit color depths.
- New: Ability to save BMP’s at 8-bit color depth.
- New: "Auto-detect" bit-depth option for PNG, BMP, and TGA file types. It will analyze the image and determine the lowest bit-depth that can still save the image without quality loss.
- New: "Fragment" blur effect, by Ed Harvey
- New: The "Polar Inversion" distortion effect has been enhanced to allow changing the rendering offset, and the behavior for "edge" pixels (clamp, reflect, or wrap).
- New: For developers, IndirectUI can now be used to write configuration UI for file types.
- New: For developers, IndirectUI has a new radio button control type for enumerations, and some new property constraint rules.
- New: Italian translation.
- Fixed: In some cases, an exponential property slider would get "stuck" at some values when using up/down keyboard keys. This mostly affects some effect plugins.
- Fixed: When using keyboard navigation, sometimes the File menu would scroll its items out of view.
- Fixed: Some crashes that were tracked down to out-of-bounds coordinate values in certain effects.
- Fixed: The installer would fail if Paint.NET had never been installed before, and was being installed to any non-default directory. This bug only affected version 3.22.