This is a small update that enables dark themed title bars (“immersive dark mode”), and updates the built-in DDS and WebP plugins.
The upcoming 4.4 update has had the code for “immersive dark mode” working for several months, and since it’s proven to work and be stable, I thought this was a good opportunity to bring it over to 4.3.x so everyone can enjoy it much sooner Previously you’d either get a white title bar, which just looks bad when Dark Theme is enabled, or you’d get the accent color defined in the Windows Color Settings (I like blue myself).
NOTE for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and 32-bit/x86 users: Paint.NET v4.3.x will be the last release(s) that work on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or on any 32-bit/x86 version of Windows. It has become significantly more difficult and time consuming to support these lately, not very many people are using them, and I can no longer justify the cost and frustration of keeping support for these afloat. Starting with Paint.NET v4.4, only Windows 10 and 11+ will be supported, and only on 64-bit (x64 and ARM64). Updates for 4.3.x will be released on an as-needed basis until v4.4 is completed.
Get the update
- Microsoft Store release
- You can purchase it here. This helps fund development and is an alternative or supplement to sending in a donation.
- If you already have it installed, the update should happen automatically once Microsoft certifies the update, usually within the next day or two. To get the update immediately (once it’s certified), you can follow the instructions listed here.
- Classic Desktop release
- Download the installer directly (web installer for all CPUs and OSes). This is the recommended download if you don’t have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
- If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
- Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.
Changes since v4.3.10:
- New: Title bars now respect Dark Theme in Windows 10 20H1+
- Updated the bundled WebPFileType plugin to v188.8.131.52 (thanks @null54!)
- Updated the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to v184.108.40.206 (thanks @null54!)