This updates fixes and optimizes palette generation when saving at 8-bit depth or less, and also fixes any remaining issues with using "Auto-detect" for bit-depth. A new effect, Quantize (in the Effects -> Color menu), has been added, some bugs have been fixed, and bundled file type plugins have been updated.
Here’s a simple example of using Quantize to reduce the # of colors in an image. You can also apply dithering, just like you can when saving an image at 8-bit or lower bit-depth. You can also choose between the Octree (default) and Median Cut palette generator algorithms. Octree is generally the right choice, but Median Cut can occasionally be quite useful.
For the Classic release, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so. You can get the update sooner by going to ⚙ Settings → Updates → Check Now. You can also download and install it directly from the website.
List of changes since 4.2.15:
- New: Effect -> Color -> Quantize, which applies palette reduction to 256 colors or less, along with dithering. This is the same algorithm used when saving images at 8-bit color depth or lower.
- Fixed and improved palette generation when saving at 8-bit color depth or less
- Greatly optimized performance of palette generation and image quantization
- Added option to choose between Octree (default) and Median Cut algorithms for palette quantization when saving at 8-bit color depth or less
- Fixed a crash in Move tools when the selection was 0-width and/or 0-height
- Added tooltips w/ shortcut keys to the Tools dropdown in the toolbar
- Fixed IndirectUI ColorWheel rendering (thanks @toe_head2001!)
- Fixed a crash in the Text tool when using Ctrl+(Left,Right,Backspace,Delete) (thanks @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth!)
- Changed: New layers are now filled with #00000000 instead of #00FFFFFF
- Fixed a crash when working with selections (OutOfMemoryException)
- New: Effects can now access the Document’s DPI via EffectEnvironmentParameters.DocumentResolution
- Fixed drawing of the color palette in the Colors window when using some non-standard DPI scaling settings (e.g. 1.15x)
- Fixed a crash when using @Ed Harvey‘s Threshold plugin
- Fixed the return value from PdnRegion.GetBoundsInt() so it’s not anchored at (0,0) unless it should be
- Fixed premultiplied-to-straight color conversion on some code paths (thanks @null54!)
- Updated bundled AvifFileType plugin to v18.104.22.168, which includes performance optimizations and bug fixes. See its GitHub releases page (https://github.com/0xC0000054/pdn-avif/releases) for more info. (thanks @null54!)
- Updated bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to v22.214.171.124, which uses an updated version of DirectXTex (2021-04-06). (thanks @null54!)