This hotfix addresses some crashes and hangs that were happening when saving DDS images in certain formats.
For the Classic release, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so. You can get the updater soon by going to ⚙ Settings → Updates → Check Now. You can also download and install it directly from the website.
Because 4.2.2, 4.2.3, and 4.2.4 are all kind of the same release (the latter two are hotfixes), here are the full set of changes:
Changes in 4.2.4:
- Fixed a hang, which sometimes also resulted in a crash, when saving DDS images in certain formats (e.g. BC1/DXT1)
- Improved: Reduced CPU usage in the COM interop system, which should help reduce overall power consumption
Changes in 4.2.3:
- Fixed: A missing DLL, vcomp140.dll, was preventing the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin from loading on some systems
Changes in 4.2.2:
- New: AV1 (*.avif) images can now be opened (saving is not supported). Windows 10 v1809+ and Microsoft’s AV1 Codec are required (download: https://www.microsoft.com/p/av1-video-extension-beta/9mvzqvxjbq9v)
- New: DirectDraw Surface (*.dds) support has been greatly improved due to bundling @null54‘s DDSFileTypePlus v22.214.171.124 plugin. All DX10/DX11 formats should now be supported (e.g. BC4, BC5, BC6H, BC7), and encoding (saving) will make use of the GPU to greatly improve performance. Note that it’s no longer necessary to use the ".dds2" file extension.
- New: 4-bit saving is now supported for PNG, BMP, and TIFF
- New: The palette selection menu will now indicate which palette is currently active (thanks @null54 for the implementation!)
- Improved: The maximum image size is now 262,144 x 262,144 pixels, up from 65,535 x 65,535 pixels. This is mostly for accommodating very tall or very wide images.
- Improved: Startup performance has been improved for multi-core CPUs
- Improved: Startup performance has been improved when a lot of custom shapes are installed
- Fixed: EXIF metadata of type Float and Double are now supported. This ensures GeoTIFF metadata is preserved.
- Fixed: Opening an image should no longer flicker due to the transparency checkerboard being drawn first
- Fixed: TGA images that are 16-bit with 1-bit alpha with a zero’d out alpha channel are now treated as opaque. This allows images from 5CC Map Maker (for Close Combat modding) to work. Thanks @null54 for the fix!
- Fixed: JPEG XR’s file extensions (*.jxr, *.wdp, *.wmp) are now registered with Explorer
- Fixed: Pasting images that use RGB pixel ordering should now work (this affects PaintTool SAI)
- Fixed a crash when manually typing in a very large number for the zoom level in the status bar