This update focuses on improving performance — sometimes significantly! — and fixing a handful of really important bugs. Special thanks go out to @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth for his contributions in this release.
For the Classic release, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so. You can get the updater soon by going to ⚙ Settings → Updates → Check Now. You can also download and install it directly from the website.
- Improved: Image -> Rotate should now complete almost instantly (thanks @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth!)
- Improved: Optimized a portion of the rendering engine for newer CPU instruction sets (SSE2, SSSE3, AVX2). Depending on zoom level, CPU type, and other factors, rendering throughput has been improved by 10-50%.
- Improved: Some performance optimizations for code that uses the indexers on the Surface class, which should improve effect plugin performance (thanks @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth!)
- Fixed: Shortcut keys for the Adjustments menu weren’t working until after you opened the menu for the first time
- Fixed: Canvas checkerboard, used to indicate transparent regions of the image, now scales with DPI
- Fixed some of the more rare cases of the SEHException/AccessViolationException crash caused by Direct2D
- Fixed: A bug in IndirectUI was resulting in a crash when using @BoltBait‘s Level Horizon plugin
- Fixed: Per-user fonts no longer cause a crash for the Store version
- New: The paintdotnet: protocol now works for the Classic version
- Fixed: The paintdotnet: protocol should now work properly with paths that have spaces in them
- Fixed: Hardened security for loading Custom Shape plugins via XAML (thanks @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth!)