Okay so the cat’s already out of the bag. A number of tech media outlets picked up on an innocent little comment of mine on the forum :

It’s at the top of my list. I’m going to release a 4.0.17 update and then focus just on pushing to Windows Store.

So there you have it Smile You can all stop e-mailing me asking about this all the time. I’m traveling for work right now but when I’m back, my plan is: 1) release 4.0.17 which has some important fixes for performance and  high-DPI, and then 2) focus exclusively on bringing 4.0.17 to the Windows Store. I’d love to give a date but I’ve always gotten them wrong. There may also be a 1.5) or a 3) in there because my code signing certificate is expiring soon and obviously I need to renew it. Hopefully that won’t be too onerous.

4.0.17 will also bring “native” portable-ness to the app, by way of a .exe.config setting to redirect the app’s settings into a local JSON file (instead of going to the registry). Should be a neat feature for some people.

Some people have asked, “but how will you make money with the Store version?” (I’m still planning on a price of “free”) Answer: not sure. But if I wait to figure out both of these things (money + Store logistics), I’ll procrastinate forever and neither will ever happen. It’s just something I’ve learned about my own psychology: don’t let X delay Y, just do Y and X will sort itself out later.

Advertisements