Whew! I originally started work on getting Paint.NET’s title bar area to respect the Windows 10 TH2 “accent color” functionality (which is NOT easy for a classic (non-universal / desktop) app … how about some documentation, Microsoft?!). Along the way I found (and rediscovered) many important performance issues that I’ve now fixed. I also finally found some fixes for a handful of rare and vexing startup crashes, including one that’s caused by a silly bug when WPF’s data binding system initializes (it’s a bug in WPF). Oh, and there’s now a Swedish translation. Various things related to the Shapes tool have been improved as well.
As usual, you can download the update directly from the website, or you can use the built-in updater via Settings –> Updates –> Check Now.
Hare are all the the new fixes and changes:
- Changed: .NET Framework 4.6 is now required, and will be installed if necessary
- New: Swedish translation
- Fixed: Title bar now uses the Windows 10 accent color
- Fixed: Floating windows were not remembering their locations on some non-English systems
- Improved: Performance of "committing" (finishing) is now up to 10x faster, which greatly improves responsivness for quick drawing operations
- Improved Shapes tool quality when drawn without antialiasing, with line styles, and at 1 pixel brush width
- Improved Shapes tool rendering performance on CPUs with many cores (8+)
- Improved: Installing a "complex" custom Shape no longer causes very long hangs at app startup
- Improved: Image->Resize is now much faster
- Fixed: Image->Resize would sometimes cause the main window to flicker or lose focus
- Fixed: Image->Resize would sometimes do nothing instead of resizing the image to a very large size
- Fixed: Labels on the vertical ruler were misleading because they were on the wrong side of the tick mark
- Improved the ruler’s performance
- Fixed: Edit->Copy now works if the data copied to the clipboard is larger than 2GB
- Fixed: Page Up, Page Down, Home, and End keys now work in the main canvas area
- Fixed: Paint.NET will no longer incorrectly block Windows from restarting
- Fixed: Rotate/Zoom no longer crashes on very large images
- Improved: Reduced CPU/GPU and battery use when the app is not in the foreground
- Improved: Reduced CPU and battery use of the UI for the Move and Shapes tools
- Added: Custom Shapes XAML now supports cardinal splines via PolyCurveSegment (a new PathSegment type)
- Improved: Various performance improvements
- Fixed: Several rare or uncommon crashes
10 thoughts on “paint.net 4.0.7 is now available”
Bug in 4.0.8 and 4.0.7 both when saving pdn format the thumbnail is not shown only paint.net icon. reverted back to 4.0.6 and it displays the thumbs so it’s an issue with the latest versions.
Hmm, it’s working for me. This update (well, 4.0.7) is using a new version of the C++ compiler and your comment had me worried that the thumbnail handler DLL (ShellExtension_x86.dll and ShellExtension_x64.dll) got broken somehow and I hadn’t noticed.
Anyway, try restarting? If the thumbnail handler DLL is already being used during the update (like if you have an Explorer window open with .PDN files in it), then it may take until the next startup of Explorer to get the thumbnails to refresh.
Still does it. I am on Win 10 Pro if that matters at all. When saving no thumnail but with 4.0.6 it works fine.
What happens if you install this? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
If that still doesn’t work, please make a post on the forum, http://forums.getpaint.net
Thanks so much for the update : ) I love Paint.NET
For some reason I can’t seem to draw with line/curve at all. The line is just invisible. Additionally, when I save a .pdn file, the thumbnail will appear until I try to save after drawing one of these invisible lines; it just defaults to the Paint.NET logo.
Anyone else unable to draw any lines?
For the Line/Curve tool: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/106728-line-tool-is-not-working/#entry510053
For thumbnails, installing the VC++2015 runtime fixes this: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/106731-previews-for-pdn-files-not-working/
Both should be fixed properly in the next update, which I’m planning to push out soon.
I love your software
Comments are closed.