This update is focused on fixing some important crashes, bricks, functionality issues, and performance optimizations.
You can get it via the built-in updater in 4.0 if you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions of paint.net" enabled in Settings -> Updates.
You will need to download this directly from the website in order to install it: http://www.getpaint.net/updates/zip/paint.net.4.1.5305.37852.install.zip . As it turns out, there’s a teeny tiny bug in 4.0 Final which causes it to basically just ignore your setting for "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions." Oops
Changes since 4.0:
- Move Selected Pixels tool performance has been significantly optimized.
- Move Selected Pixels tool was always leaving transparent black behind instead of the secondary color with alpha removed.
- Brush tools with odd-sized brushes and no antialiasing were drawing at 1 size smaller.
- Fixed some apparent ‘lag’ in the brush tools due to an off-by-1 glitch in the stroke path calculation code.
- The brush tool preview circle no longer scales by the system DPI setting, which made it too big.
- Removed the momentary hourglass/wait cursor after drawing (e.g. pencil and brush tools).
- Optimized performance of the Shapes tool, especially for the Ellipse shape.
- Paint Bucket tool will now correctly treat the selection as a boundary contour.
- Zoom tool no longer crashes sometimes when pressing the right mouse button while already holding the left mouse button.
- The status bar now reports the correct selection location when it’s outside the image boundaries (e.g. negative values).
- Auto-scrolling on the edge of the window now works correctly and doesn’t require you to "jiggle the mouse" for each scroll update.
- Touch screens no longer scroll when swiping up/down with one finger.
- Improved the pixel grid’s contrast so it’s not overwhelmingly bright.
- The transparency "checkerboard" is now aligned to the top-left of the image, instead of the top-left of the canvas.
- The cursor position reported in the status bar was off-by-1 when the value was supposed to be negative.
- Some controls (e.g. units selection in the Image->Resize dialog) were not drawing focus rectangles when using the keyboard.
- Fixed a crash (OutOfMemoryException) when using a selection tool when hardware acceleration is disabled.
- Fixed a crash (TimeBeforeLastUpdateException) in the installer. This usually happens when running in a virtual machine, and only affects animations.
- Fixed a crash (BadImageFormatException) at startup. This indicates an installation error, and will be automatically repaired.
- Fixed various crashes caused by having the wrong (old) version of PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.dll. This indicates an installation error, and will be automatically repaired.
- Improved performance when hardware acceleration is disabled.
- All 7th generation Intel GPUs now default to hardware rendering. All older Intel GPUs default to software rendering.
- Fixed graphical artifacts (blackness, flickering, mouse trails) on certain GPUs (e.g. NVIDIA Optimus).
- "NVIDIA ION" graphics cards now default to software rendering due to crashes.