Paint.NET v3.5.11 BETA is now available

This is probably not the update you were expecting Smile I need to push out an update to v3.5 in preparation for the eventual release of v4.0, and it’s necessary to do this sooner rather than later to make sure everyone is up-to-date by then. I’m releasing a “beta” today to make sure everything is still working (compilers, packagers, updaters), and then I’ll be pushing out the Final/RTM in a few days.

The primary goal of this update is preparing for the v4.0 release: v3.5.10 will not be able to offer the v4.0 update, but v3.5.11 will. I’m not a fan of putting out an update for purely infrastructure purposes so I’ve also reverse-ported a handful of low-risk improvements from the v4.0 code base. This way we all win.

As usual, you can download it directly from the website or you can use the built-in updater. Make sure that you enable “Also check for pre-release (beta) versions,” which you can do by going to Utility –> Check for Updates, and then clicking on the Options button.

Here are the changes for this release:

• Fixed: The Gaussian Blur effect was incorrectly calculating alpha values for non-opaque pixels. (http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18483-gaussian-blur-mistreats-alpha/)
  • Improved performance of the Sharpen effect by about 25%
  • Improved performance of the Median effect by about 30%
  • Improved performance of the Fragment effect by about 40%
  • Improved performance of the Unfocus effect by about 100%
  • Reduced memory usage when many selection manipulation operations are in the history/undo stack (the undo data is now saved to disk)
  • The built-in updater now supports upgrading to paint.net 4.0 (once it’s available)

As for paint.net 4.0, progress has been speeding up. All of the tools have been ported and upgraded for the new rendering and history systems, and there’s only 1 or 2 small feature left. Once those are done, which should be soon since they’re fairly simple and straightforward, I’ll be in strict bug fixing mode in preparation for a public alpha release! As usual I have no promises as to when this will happen, but we’ll go with “soon.”

Another recent change in 4.0 that I’m very happy about is further improvements to selection rendering performance. I talked about this awhile ago when I detailed how the selection is now rendered using background threads and hardware acceleration. Back then I also said, “Manipulating selections is still just as slow as it ever was, and over time I plan to move that work off the UI thread.” Well I’m happy to report that I’ve now been able to move almost all of the remaining CPU-intensive geometry processing off the UI thread, and I’ve also added a few other tricks that make it so that most selection manipulation can be done at a full 30-60 frames per second! If you’ve ever drawn a complex selection, either by hand or with the Magic Wand, and then proceeded to move/scale/rotate it with the Move Selection tool, you’ve probably experienced severe lag. This is all now almost entirely gone, and it is very cool stuff, and it’s not isolated to that scenario.

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “Paint.NET v3.5.11 BETA is now available

1. miki says:

I can’t wait for the v4.0! v3.5 is such an amazing editor and v4.0 fixes all the stuff that bothers me in v3.5 😉

2. John Ludlow (@JohnLudlowUK) says:

Frankly, I’m just glad 4.0 is on its way, and if this update gets us closer, I’m all for it.

Yeah, we never want to have to push out an update just to enable us to do an update in the future, but sometimes these things happen, usually because there’s an issue in the older installer that prevents it from being upgraded (that’s been my experience anyway)

3. Olivier Dalet says:

Hi Rick, I’m trying to download the beta from the getpaint.net site, though the 3.5.11 Beta link redirects me to the 3.5.10 version (and my current 3.5.10 version doesn’t succeed in retrieving the update… most probably due to uor corporate proxy…)

4. Paul A. says:

Look! It’s moving. It’s alive. It’s alive… It’s alive, it’s moving, it’s alive, it’s alive, it’s alive, it’s alive, IT’S ALIVE!

Dear Santa, what I want for Christmas – Version 4.0 please. I have been a good boy this year.

This is great news, It is wonderful to see activity here. I got new computer in June and I can now run Version 4.0 when it comes out.

5. Rico says:

Wow I am using Paint.NET dailly (as a developer :), great to see an update coming up!

6. aarilight says:

How hard would it be to implement a “preview” window that simply shows a preview of the image you’re working on? For instance, if I’m doing pixel art and I want to see what it looks like at 100%, while drawing at 1600% or something. This would seriously be like the best thing ever, if you could add it. =)

7. cc4fuzzyhuggles says:

I love Paint.net so much! I rave about it to all my friends. All I can say is THANK YOU and keep up the amazing work! You and everyone who has helped with this awesome program are like complete geniuses in my eyes.

One thing that I love the most about Paint.net is all it’s plugins, will the plugins be compatible and usable in the new paint.net though?
    Also, will our current Paint.net remain available? I think I might like both versions if there are enough differences between them.

8. Steven Rose, Jr. says:

No, promises, you can only say that these will become available “soon”. I know exactly what you mean. I’ve been having to say the same thing for the last six months, it seems, to people about my book that’s cover I’ve been designing using your software. lol No worries. But I thought I should mention your software has a lot of neat useful features and so I just wanted to say thanks. Keep up the great work!
    : D

9. Zecharia says:

I thank you very much for such a quality, well-thought-out, and intuitive tool. I use this almost every day on different levels (not a professional, but intermediate), and have recommended it to several people who are also impressed.
    I would like to request an ‘air-gun’ tool, with varying opacity and density, something which I used very frequently in PSP (possibly the best tool for touching-up pictures). I saw the post on how to do this in PDN, but it is at best a workaround, as it involves several steps to perform one task.
    Please consider introducing this tool in a future version.
    Thanks again for your great product!

10. RealHandy says:

I use paint.net 90+% of the time, even though I also have Photoshop. “Get paint.net” is something I say quite often to people who ask me what I use to edit images. If it’s not the most valuable donationware on the internet, it’s gotta be in the top 5. Very happy to hear a major version is coming. Thanks for the excellence!