I discussed this update yesterday, and I’ve decided to release it before the weekend.
You can either use the built-in updater, or go to the website and download it. There’s no need to uninstall the old version; that will be taken care of automatically.
Oh! And for those who didn’t check out betas, this will be your first chance to see the background auto-updater in action. I think you’ll find it much more convenient than the in-your-face update process that older versions required you to sit through.
Changes and fixes since v3.5:
- New: For Windows 7, added taskbar progress reporting for long running operations (effects, adjustments, Image->Resize, save, install)
- Made some corrections to the French translation
- Running setup with /auto will no longer launch Paint.NET when it’s done
- Fixed an issue where Paste into New Image would refuse an image on the clipboard, even if regular Paste would take it
- Fixed a race condition with Edit->Paste and Image->Resize whereby it would take up 100% CPU and take between 1 minute to 1 hour to finish
- Fixed an issues with Copy/Paste where it would leave an extra line of transparent pixels on the left, top, right, and/or bottom edges
- Fixed lag with the paintbrush tool that was being seen on some systems
- Fixed some issues with the paintbrush and eraser tool being misaligned when zoomed in
- Fixed a crash that would happen at (seemingly) random times, such as after drawing with the paintbrush tool, on some systems
- Fixed a minor and obscure rendering glitch with the Move Selected Pixels tool
- Fixed an issue with glass over Remote Desktop or Windows 7 Virtual PC
- Fixed a minor glitch whereby the "Unsaved Changes" confirmation dialog could never finish rendering the image thumbnail if one of the Move tools was active
36 thoughts on “Paint.NET v3.5.1 is now available”
wow! fast bugfix 🙂 thx 🙂
“Fixed lag with the paintbrush tool that was being seen on some systems”
Great message, I had this problem since first alphas of Paint.net on Win7. This lag was very confusing for me and only for this reason I was not so much happy with 3.5 final release. Thanks for great job, Rick 🙂
When I use the “Text”,and type the word…
the word size is set over 216
there is a problem that had not happened in past version…
That edge of words are not smooth.
Nice 🙂 !
Here are some new things:
* The “Info” window does not show up version 3.5.x.
* The default unit for the fixed size (marking something) should be “px” instead of “cm” or “inches” I guess.
* I’m using the German translation and the label “Deckfähigkeit” (opacity) of the layer option window is too small.
* Again something about the German translation: I think “Primärfarbe” is better than “Primärfarben” (same for “Sekundärfarben”).
* And agan German: In all cases a slash should have a space before and after itself. At least in the string “Farbton/Sättigung…” it’s missing.
Well, that are small things only 😉 …
Lars, “Info” window? Never heard of it.
Wow… I just installed this update and boy, this thing flies even on Windows XP on an MSI Wind U100 Netbook (Atom processor). Very impressive. Keep up the great work.
Rick: It’s “About” in English. Works here for me, though in 3.5.1; both in the English and the German version.
Thanks Rick, it is so beautiful on Windows 7. I have noticed that menus are laging when submenu is open (http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/11/21/03/59/6020660_202x202.png).
Great, another update for my favorite photo editing program..
Though one thing I really finds annoying is that when you create some text, you cant edit it, or move it around or anything after you have deselected it..
– It should be like in photoshop for instance, where it creates a new layer every time you create a new text.. And then you should be able to select it again, and edit the text..
Another, though more advanced thing, is that you aren’t able to select more than one layer at a time! That should be a possibility..
Thanks for a great program, keep up the good work..
Thanks Rick for the update 🙂
Jeppe Richardt raises an interesting point, how hard would it be to implement the ability to perform selections as well as adjustments or effects on more than one layer at a time? It it on the long-term roadmap?
Great work, Rick.
If it isn’t already on the agenda, please add the File -> Acquire (from a Scanner or Camera) to the functions that report their progress to the taskbar.
When scanning in images from my scanner, which I do a lot, I find that is slower than any other tasks I do. That sometimes takes a couple of minutes.
Thanks in advance.
is there a way to force the update lookup? Can’t see it anywhere in the Help menu and my Paint.NET 3.5.0 is not offering the update yet…
The check for updates option has been moved to the utilities menu.
Wow, 3.5 is incredible. If I have some extra money this christmas I will def donate. Thanks alot you guys, this helps me out tremendously
Just a quick bug note (don’t have access to my forum credentials right now):
1. Select the Select tool (any one of Rectangle/Lasso/Ellipse select)
2. Start dragging a selection with the left mouse button
3. While still holding down the LMB try selecting under a floating palette. This works.
4. Still holding down the LMB, hold down the RMB too. This will enable you to move the selection done so far. After releasing the RMB you can continue selecting (while still holding down the LMB).
5. While still holding down the LMB try selecting under a floating palette. This no longer works but instead turns the palette opaque and stops selecting at its edge.
Above procedure also works with LMB and RMB swapped.
How come I can’t install v. 3.5 and 3.5.1? Every time I try I get this message: “A processor (CPU) with SSE support is required.” So far I’d no problems running v.3.36.
svend, Because a processor with SSE support is now required. Sounds like you have a very old computer. You’ll simply have to upgrade if you want to install any newer version of Paint.NET.
Thx Rick. Very old!!!? It’s 8 years old that’s all and hopefully it will run for another 8-10 years so I stick to 3.36
svend, Yes. 8-10 years is pretty much ancient when it comes to computers. You have some improper expectations with respect to support and longevity. I highly doubt that *any* new software will work for you after “another 8-10 years.”
There are some translation errors.
Paste in to New Layer -> 粘贴到新图层(新not 最)
Paste in to New Image -> 粘贴到新图片(新not 最)
旋转180? -> 旋转180度
Another great release! 🙂
I’ve noticed a license change, and as comments are now closed in the post about it, I’ll post it here: Does the change mean that you intend to make Paint.net commercial in near future? Asking out of curiosity :-).
Pawal, I closed that post for commenting for a reason: I’m done hearing about it, and don’t want any more comments about it. I never said anything about making Paint.NET commercial in the future.
I recently upgraded to 3.5.1 and now it no longer works on Win7x64. It keeps telling me that I need .NET 3.5.1SP1, which comes pre-installed with Win7…
Chris, this isn’t a troubleshooting forum. For that, you need to go to the forum (accessible via the Help menu).
i seen that the previous ver. was set to expire forcing an update
This release is as great as great as 3.5 but a bit better 🙂
My system: Intel Core2Duo 1,9GHz 3GB Ram Paint.Net 3.5.1 Win Vista
I’ve got this 2 problems:
Everytime I open paint.net the program window is shown very fast (not like in 2.x) but the cursor stays line tool for some seconds wherever I move it, also on the toolbars. I can’t click anywhere while these few seconds. If I give an image as an parameter this cursor problem takes nearly 20 seconds!
My second problem: My taskbar gets invisible when I move the cursor out of it (I configured it like this). But while Paint.Net is loading more than one image given as parameter, the taskbar doesn’t dissapear, it appears and dissappears many times. Maybe Paint.Net want to get the input focus after loading any image, but it’s task button doesn’t get yellow while doing this.
A good program anyway but I hope this could be fixed in the next release.
everytime I open paint.net is showed a message saying that I don’t have the .net 3.5 sp1 installed, but I have!
Comments are closed.