September 2007 usage statistics

Overall usage is up only 3.8% for September, which isn’t too surprising nor is it bad. Vista share grew only a very small amount, and 64-bit is basically at the same level it was in August – it’s still disappointingly low. Overall there isn’t really much to say this month that hasn’t been said already for August, or June or July. My bet is that Vista’s share will jump right around Christmas time.

To grow Paint.NET’s userbase further, I think it will take the addition of some killer new features that people have been clamoring for. And maybe some others that they haven’t but will nonetheless be quite awesome.

Revenue was much higher than in August and is still going strong into September, although I have noticed the “new release afterglow” is now starting to wear off (version 3.10 was published on August 24th). Donations always spike very strongly after a new release for about 10 days (by the way, thanks to everyone who has donated! It really does make a difference!). AdSense also takes a healthy jump but doesn’t exhibit the same derivatives. It tends to show a much smaller short-term spike, after which it grows over the following few weeks and then cools off over about the same amount of time. My guess is that a freshly updated web page is simply more valued by AdSense (I could be completely wrong of course). It may be prudent to time a release in order to take advantage of the Q4 advertising spree, as John Chow puts it. By the way, he recently broke past $20,000 / month with just his blog. I would love to accomplish the same with Paint.NET, all while continuing to give it away for free.

As a reminder, these statistics represent hits to the auto-updater manifests, which means they approximately reveal the Paint.NET application’s usage. Unless the auto-updater is disabled, it will check for updates up to once every 5 days at application startup. This is done by downloading a text file whose filename is decorated with OS and language information. Having 1.2 million hits to the manifest does not mean that Paint.NET has 1.2 million installations, or 1.2 million active users. It is merely a tool for comparing usage trends amongst different time periods (month to month, in this case).

 

August

September

Aug. -> Sept.

Total Hits

1,182,822

1,227,592

3.79%

Hits Per Day

38,156

39,600

 
       

32-bit

98.75%

98.76%

0.01%

64-bit

1.25%

1.24%

-0.78%

       

Windows XP

84.29%

84.04%

-0.30%

Windows 2003

0.66%

0.63%

-4.17%

Windows Vista

15.05%

15.33%

1.88%

       

English

46.66%

46.36%

-0.64%

German

18.02%

17.48%

-2.95%

French

7.62%

8.51%

11.55%

Portuguese

5.92%

5.87%

-0.86%

Spanish

4.58%

4.54%

-0.92%

Japanese

2.20%

2.21%

0.65%

Italian

1.67%

2.10%

25.73%

Netherlands

1.9
3%

1.77%

-8.30%

Russian

1.66%

1.67%

0.41%

Chinese (Simplified)

1.51%

1.16%

-23.13%

Polish

1.87%

1.96%

4.80%

Chinese (Traditional)

0.92%

0.80%

-13.32%

Turkey

0.74%

0.73%

-0.94%

Korean

0.63%

0.57%

-9.02%

The rest

4.08%

4.28%

4.79%

Have translations

87.13%

86.70%

-0.50%

Don’t have translation

12.87%

13.30%

3.37%

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “September 2007 usage statistics

  1. Tim DeWees says:

    A smudge tool would be nice but based on the forum, it seems a long way from being done. Version 4.0 promises to be really nice..

    Smudge is the only tool left that would get me to completly switch over. As it stands now, I do 90% of the work in Paint.Net, and then switch over to Gimp to finish the remaining 10%.

    Nice work and have fun!

  2. Francis says:

    Hmmm, killer features? Adding more switches to the Tools toolbar a la Paint Shop Pro would be nice (e.g. to enable non-contiguous magic wand usage, feathering on selection, multi-pixel color picker, etc.) I’d also like to see point-to-point and smart edge selection; straighten and perspective correction; and scratch and object removal tools added.

  3. Donny says:

    Hi Rick!

    I just got a chance to check out Paint.NET today.
    It was installed on a lab machine for months, and i never bothered to check it out *just because it’s name was Paint.NET*. I thought one of our interns was trying out some .NET stuff!!

    Anyways, all the best for Version 4.0. You could think of giving a new name, though. Adding the “.NET” moniker has not been trendy for quite some time now (Even the mothership has abandoned it!). And I really, really hope that the kitchen sink effect will not bog the software down (Look what happened to Firefox … sniff! sniff!).

    Right now Paint.NET feels so peppy, and smart 🙂 Great job!

Comments are closed.