This is a servicing release that fixes a handful of bugs, and updates the bundled AvifFileType plugin.
NOTE for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and 32-bit/x86 users: Paint.NET v4.3.x will be the last release(s) that work on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or on any 32-bit/x86 version of Windows. It has become significantly more difficult and time consuming to support these lately, not very many people are using them, and I can no longer justify the cost and frustration of keeping support for these afloat. Starting with Paint.NET v4.4, only Windows 10 and 11+ will be supported, and only on 64-bit (x64 and ARM64). Updates for 4.3.x will be released on an as-needed basis until v4.4 is completed.
Get the update
- Microsoft Store release
- You can purchase it here. This helps fund development and is an alternative or supplement to sending in a donation.
- If you already have it installed, the update should happen automatically once Microsoft certifies the update, usually within the next day or two. To get the update immediately (once it’s certified), you can follow the instructions listed here.
- Classic Desktop release
- Download the installer directly (web installer for all CPUs and OSes). This is the recommended download if you don’t have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
- If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next week or so, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
- Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.
Changes since v4.3.8:
- Added a workaround for a bug in the latest Windows 11 Insider "Dev Channel" build 10.0.22567.0 that is causing a lot of crashes. Microsoft has a hotfix coming soon.
- Fixed a compatibility issue with the Shape Maker plugin that was preventing the ability to open or save shapes
- Fixed the precision of color channel values for images with transparency when using the Invert Colors or Black and White adjustments. Before, color values were reset to zero if the alpha channel was also zero.
- Fixed the rendering for Image -> Resize when using Nearest Neighbor. Sampling was off by 0.5 pixels, causing incorrect results. Reported here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/118703-incorrectoffset-nearest-neighbor-scaling-when-using-resize-dialog/
- Fixed a crash in the Quantize effect when Alpha Threshold was set to 0 and the image was completely transparent
- Updated the bundled AvifFileType to version 18.104.22.168. This updates the AOM version to 3.3.0. (thanks @null54!)