More Thoughts on Apple’s iPad

In my previous post, I lambasted the Apple iPad as a useless device.

Miguel de Icaza has a really good post praising the iPad:

This is a whole new space in which we can research, a new space that we can explore and where we can create a whole new class of computer/user interactions. With the new form factor, we can now create applications that just made no sense on the iPhone.

It is fascinating*.

And you know what? I agree with him: for developers who’re interested in writing touch-centric UI, the iPad is potentially a great* device.

Most people, however, will not be interested in this first revision of the iPad and should absolutely wait at least for iPad 2 or the next major OS revision. The feature set is still puny, and I think it’s far too expensive for what you get.

Personally, I’m not interested in writing an iPad application, but that’s because I’m more interested in what Windows 7 and multitouch can offer. It might have something to do with the fact that Paint.NET is a Windows app.

* not magical

12 thoughts on “More Thoughts on Apple’s iPad

1. Miguel de Icaza says:

Luckily, some of the Paint.NET code that used to be open source seems to work great on the iPhone 😉

2. Kevin says:

One thing to remember, the iPad is a bigger, more usable multi-touch device that has a huge potential in the graphics design industry. Miguel de Icaza has already begun porting Paint.NET to Mono for cross-platform use. If you could help in this effort with a focus toward the iPhone/iPad SDK, there is some potential for a version that could be used to further progress the iPad as a Graphic Designer tool. I’m sure the toolset might change but think of the potential. For iPad, all Developers need to learn to think outside the box, their comfort zone.

3. Rick Brewster says:

They’ve been “porting” Paint.NET to Mono for over 3 years now … I’m one guy, and I’ve already chosen my focus for the time being.

4. scutterman says:

Well said. I don’t know why people feel the need to tell other people that they should be doing more work in their free time, especially when the other people in question are already providing a top-class product for free.

Thank you for taking time to create Paint.net, for the updates, and for the blog posts.

5. Miguel de Icaza says:

Hello Kevin,

I did not really do much porting of Paint.NET, but people were interested in it. I sadly do not have time to work on it.

Back then I wrote enough that it works for simple operations, released the one or two patches to the core and the new SystemLayer.dll. Despite the initial enthusiasm, it did not seem like anyone was willing to step up and complete the work.

That said, a few useful cross platform routines from Paint.NET do work on the iPhone.

6. richard says:

The iPad may have changed the tech landscape had it actually had a decent OS on it. The iPhone/iPod Touch OS, while having some reasonable parts, really isn’t about Graphic Design, standard office work (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets etc), but more towards basic web browsing, viewing videos and playing games.

Had they put a multi-touch version of OSX on it, I might have been interested, and possibly even persuaded to drool over it, but as it is? Nope. I want to be able to easily work on my documents, to easily use my favourite image editing/photo working tool etc. not just browse the web and watch videos. I can’t even add more storage or use a standard USB connector (more Apple lock in, here we go). Sigh.

Oh well – maybe I need to wait and see if anyone comes out with a multi-touch pad with Win7 (gasp). That would rock my world.

7. Pluberus says:

@richard:
    You mean like the Lenovo Ideapad U1?

I wanna see a cheap (sub $500) W7 tablet with 8 hours+ of battery life. =)

8. Rafal says:

It seems to me that an ipad is a useless device at the moment. It’s expensive and it it doesn’t offer much (no slot card, no multitasking, no cam, no USB – come on it’s 2010! :-])

$499 – $829?

I’ll pass.

9. Johannes says:

Rafal: In my experience fingerpainting really sucks for most things except what you would let children do. A stylus is great but last I looked the iPad was touch-only 😉

The main problem is that you don’t see where you touch (unless you have fingers that end in fine points—I don’t).

10. Kevin says:

I pre-ordered an iPad and can’t wait to get it. There is just way too much potential for this platform, especially for developers, to pass it up.

Now that the cross-platform version of Paint.NET (Pinta) is rolling steady, I can’t wait to see it ported to iPad. I know many changes would need to be made but heck, Adobe already has a version of Photoshop for the iPhone so why not 🙂

As Miguel pointed out, some of the code from Paint.NET is already working well on the iPhone (via MonoTouch). I’m sure with Pinta forging ahead as it is, the possibilities of bringing it to the iPad are growing each day.

A new revolution in mobile computing is starting with iPad leading the way. The great thing is that Microsoft and Google will follow this trend as well so there will be lots of competition.

There are a lot of people that didn’t feel the iPad was worth looking at but it sold over 120,000 units on its first day of pre-sales… and 98% of the people that pre-ordered it have never even touched it.